A wheelie nice gift from motorcyclists
Published at 16:19, Monday, 31 December 2012
THE Millom community continues to rally round a disabled man who had his shopping stolen outside a supermarket.
Just before Christmas, Ian Tweedley had a bag full of groceries and festive treats stolen from the front of his customised trike-style motorcycle.
But kind-hearted police officers saved his Christmas by bringing the 52-year-old a replacement supply of groceries.
And in a further act of defiance towards the thieves, members of Millom Bike Group ensured a happy new year for Mr Tweedley by presenting him with a food hamper.
Group chairman, Bill Jones, said: “We just wanted to make sure he had a nice hamper of food to enjoy on new year.
“Hopefully now he can just shut the door to the world and stick two fingers up at the thieves.
“They must have been desperate to pinch his shopping, but it was below the belt.”
The bike group also presented Mr Tweedley, of Earl Street, Millom, with a new motorcycle helmet.
Mr Tweedley, who was left with serious injuries after a motorcycle accident while on holiday in France 20 years ago, said he was facing a miserable Christmas until the police returned hours after the theft, on December 20, with replacement shopping.
Speaking to the Evening Mail at the time, he said: “I was really surprised. I’d really like to say thank you to the officers for doing this.
“It was really helpful – it picked me right back up before Christmas.
“It was really good of them, above and beyond the call of duty.
“I had cabbages, Brussels sprouts, biscuits and all sorts in my bags.
“I just thought why me, why pick on me – I am disabled.
“Is this the society we live in nowadays?”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|