Month's worth of rain falls in Cumbria as waters leave drivers trapped
A month's worth of rain has fallen in Cumbria as emergency services have dealt with flooding across the county.
Initial reports say that just over 200mm - about 8ins - of rain has been recorded as falling at Honister in the Lake District.
High levels have also been recorded at Seathwaite, near Keswick, and at Ennerdale during a day which has caused travel disruption and seen schools closed.
Fire crews across Cumbria have been busy dealing with incidents of flooding throughout today.
A total of 17 separate reports of flooding have been received by Cumbria Fire Service since 7am today.
The full list is:
- 7am: Car stuck in 1ft of floodwater at Castle Green Road, Kendal. Occupier inside. Road had to be closed.
- 7.56am: Woman and child trapped in car with water up to the door in Harriston Road, Aspatria. Rescued by firefighters.
- 9.50am: Blocked drains causing flooding problems at Croft Head Roads, Seascale. Advice given but crew did not attend.
- 11.04am: 1ft of water in properties at Cross Gates, Lamplugh. Four houses affected. Water pumped out.
- 11.08am: Report of flooding on access road to Hall Court, Tallentire.
- 11.15am: Report of flooding at Beetham Road, Milnthorpe.
- 11.26am: Man and child trapped in car marooned in fast-flowing water at Arkleby Bridge, Plumbland.
- 11.26am: Report of flooding at Rowrah Hall, Frizington.
- 11.33am: Report of flooding in Park Road, Arlecdon, Frizington.
- 11.36am: Report of flooding at Cross Gates, Lamplugh.
- 11.55am: Man in a van trapped in fast-flowing water at Arkleby. Swift water rescue equipment used to rescue him.
- 12pm: Two people trapped inside flooding property at Yew Tree Road, Grange-over-Sands.
- 12pm: Flooding in downstairs of a cottage in the Frizington area. Worked to clear drains to reduce flooding.
- 12.09pm: Flooding at the Sun Hotel, Troutbeck Bridge, Windermere. Water in cellar and boiler room, affecting electrics.
- 12.09pm: Flooding in terraced properties at Loftus Hill, Sedbergh.
- 12.13pm: Further report of flooding at Yew Tree Road, Grange-over-Sands.
- 12.21pm: Report of flooding in garage at Main Street, Frizington.