120 businesses ‘at risk’ of failing
Published at 16:31, Monday, 28 January 2013
MORE than 120 retailers in Barrow are considered at risk of failure in the next year, according to new figures.
The statistics have been compiled by insolvency body R3.
Across the north west 3,500 retailers are considered at risk, a total of 30 per cent of all businesses, compared to 29 per cent in Barrow.
Cumbria has a lower expected rate of failure with 24 per cent, or 978, retail businesses.
Jeremy Oddie, regional chairman of R3, said: “The high street is having to re-define itself, and many chains have been shedding stores to create a more workable business model.
“This process could reach a natural conclusion at some point in the year ahead, although we expect a few more major insolvencies in the meantime.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (35 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (16 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (5 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (17 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|