Last updated at 11:50, Wednesday, 04 February 2009
BARROW-based radio station Abbey FM has closed.
Staff were told yesterday that the station, which first went on air in October 2006, was being put into voluntary liquidation.
The station stopped broadcasting at 3pm, shortly after the announcement. Seven members of staff have been made redundant with immediate effect.
CN Group, which owns the North West Evening Mail, was a minority shareholder in Abbey FM, which also employed six people on a freelance basis.
Speaking yesterday, station manager Amanda Bell said: “Every single one of my staff put their heart and soul into this radio station and it is incredibly sad for them, as well as for our followers and listeners who have supported us. We can’t give the groups, charities and organisations a voice any more.
“This also means that Barrow will never again have its own radio station. There won’t be another licence issued for Barrow.
“It was very, very sudden. We had the support and backing of all three shareholders until three weeks ago, when TLRC withdrew their support, which forced the hand of the other shareholders. I was only told of their decision at 12.30pm today.
“We were doing extremely well and heading towards making profits until July last year and then the economic situation got worse,
First published at 11:51, Saturday, 31 January 2009
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Firefighters called after woman gets stuck in Ulverston pool
- Public can help decide future of historic Ulverston cottage (5 comments)
- Lucas Palfreeman
- New Ulverston emergency services centre planned (8 comments)
- Jobs hope as Cumbria lighting firm bags luxury jets contract
- Police descend on Ulverston home thought to be drugs hub
- Village holds summit on plans to demolish Coot
- News from Ulverston Operatic Society
- Ulverston photographer has answered the call of the wild
- Floods spark fresh fears over Ulverston housing
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|