Last updated at 11:50, Wednesday, 04 February 2009
BARROW-based radio station Abbey FM has closed.
Staff were told yesterday that the station, which first went on air in October 2006, was being put into voluntary liquidation.
The station stopped broadcasting at 3pm, shortly after the announcement. Seven members of staff have been made redundant with immediate effect.
CN Group, which owns the North West Evening Mail, was a minority shareholder in Abbey FM, which also employed six people on a freelance basis.
Speaking yesterday, station manager Amanda Bell said: “Every single one of my staff put their heart and soul into this radio station and it is incredibly sad for them, as well as for our followers and listeners who have supported us. We can’t give the groups, charities and organisations a voice any more.
“This also means that Barrow will never again have its own radio station. There won’t be another licence issued for Barrow.
“It was very, very sudden. We had the support and backing of all three shareholders until three weeks ago, when TLRC withdrew their support, which forced the hand of the other shareholders. I was only told of their decision at 12.30pm today.
“We were doing extremely well and heading towards making profits until July last year and then the economic situation got worse,
First published at 11:51, Saturday, 31 January 2009
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect (1 comment)
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|