New Carlisle beauty salon thriving despite competition
Last updated at 13:36, Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Lucy Collier has no regrets – three months after entering one of the most fiercely-competitive businesses around.
The 25-year-old opened Nu Beauty in Carlisle’s Chapel Street in October.
There is no shortage of beauty salons in Carlisle but trade has been brisk nonetheless.
She said: “Christmas was a whirlwind. It’s been amazing. We were fully booked a lot of the time.”
Miss Collier, who is the partner of the former Carlisle United and Annan Athletic footballer Michael Jack, trained at Carlisle College and worked in a spa for five years before branching out on her own.
She said: “He’s always wanted me to start my own business.
“It was just a question of biting the bullet and having the confidence to do it.
“When you work for someone else you realise it can be difficult being in business but you want a bit more. I am so pleased I’ve done it now.”
The ground-floor salon, which is tastefully decorated in calm, muted colours, has two treatment rooms.
It offers body and facial treatments and massages, hand-and-foot care, waxing, make-up and eye treatments. Specialities include lash extensions, Shellac nails and HD Brows.
Miss Collier said: “HD Brows is a way of tailoring the brow to get a celebrity look. It’s the latest thing.”
She also does wedding make-up and will travel to the bride’s home.
Although the majority of customers at Nu Beauty are women, increasing numbers of image-conscious men are booking treatments too. She said: “We’ve even had some having their eyebrows done.
“There’s probably a whole new market in male grooming to look into.”
First published at 13:38, Monday, 14 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|