New Carlisle beauty salon thriving despite competition
Last updated at 13:36, Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Lucy Collier has no regrets – three months after entering one of the most fiercely-competitive businesses around.
The 25-year-old opened Nu Beauty in Carlisle’s Chapel Street in October.
There is no shortage of beauty salons in Carlisle but trade has been brisk nonetheless.
She said: “Christmas was a whirlwind. It’s been amazing. We were fully booked a lot of the time.”
Miss Collier, who is the partner of the former Carlisle United and Annan Athletic footballer Michael Jack, trained at Carlisle College and worked in a spa for five years before branching out on her own.
She said: “He’s always wanted me to start my own business.
“It was just a question of biting the bullet and having the confidence to do it.
“When you work for someone else you realise it can be difficult being in business but you want a bit more. I am so pleased I’ve done it now.”
The ground-floor salon, which is tastefully decorated in calm, muted colours, has two treatment rooms.
It offers body and facial treatments and massages, hand-and-foot care, waxing, make-up and eye treatments. Specialities include lash extensions, Shellac nails and HD Brows.
Miss Collier said: “HD Brows is a way of tailoring the brow to get a celebrity look. It’s the latest thing.”
She also does wedding make-up and will travel to the bride’s home.
Although the majority of customers at Nu Beauty are women, increasing numbers of image-conscious men are booking treatments too. She said: “We’ve even had some having their eyebrows done.
“There’s probably a whole new market in male grooming to look into.”
First published at 13:38, Monday, 14 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|