Model mum Gemma in bid for stardom
Published at 16:51, Monday, 19 November 2012
By Jonathan HumphriesAN aspiring model has her sights set on Hollywood after being invited to compete in a prestigious beauty pageant.
Gemma Frazer, from Steel Street, Askam, will be taking part in the Model of the Year Grand Final contest run by the Kerri Parker Model Agency, after applying for a chance to compete.
The winner will bag a prize package worth £5,000, including flights to Los Angeles, the opportunity to sign with a Hollywood agent, a calendar photo shoot on Malibu Beach, and invitations to red carpet events.
Ms Frazer, 25, said: “It’s a really big competition, and I was amazed when I got accepted. ”
The contest, set up by professional model Kerri Parker, will also be raising money for Help for Heroes, through the entry fees paid by the 30 finalists.
The mum-of-one has been modelling for around eight years, but is also studying at Furness College, with a view to go onto study psychology at university.
She is no stranger to beauty pageants, having competed in Miss Merseyside 2011 and Miss Manchester last year.
Despite the fact that she has also been selected to represent Cumbria in the Miss England competition next year, she is keeping her feet firmly on the ground.
“It will be the experience of a lifetime, especially for me coming from such a small town.
“ I just think it’s good for girls like me, in full time education and a mum to a four-year-old, to be able to do things like this. I want to show other girls like me that you can do both and still follow your dreams even if you are a mum.
“Beauty pageants sometimes get a bad rap but I think they are really empowering. I know looks don’t last forever and that’s why I’ve got my education to fall back on.”
The competition is due to take place on Saturday November 24, at Epic Studios in Norwich, a former ITV production studio.
Ms Frazer added: “At first I was nervous, but now I’m getting really excited.”
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|