Michaela hopes ‘tower’ trek will boost charity
Last updated at 18:10, Friday, 05 October 2012
A BEAUTY contest finalist is aiming to climb the Eiffel Tower – inside a Furness gym.
Miss South Lakes hopeful Michaela Webster will wear a French maid’s outfit when she tackles the challenge in DW Sports Fitness Club in Barrow on October 20.
Finalists were tasked with devising a fundraiser for the Variety Club of Great Britain, which seeks to improve the lives of sick, disabled and disadvantaged young people.
The 21-year-old has chosen to climb up and down the iconic Parisian landmark, but will do so on a stepping machine.
To achieve the equivalent of ascending and descending the 1,063ft high tower, she must complete a thigh-burning 3,300 steps.
Miss Webster, of Saves Lane, Ireleth, said: “I joined the gym about three weeks ago and the step machine is probably the one I found the hardest.
“I thought the harder I make it for myself, the more people would want to sponsor me.
“That’s why I thought I’d go up the Eiffel Tower and back.
“I’m training as much as I can to make sure I can do it.
“I don’t like failing, so I just need to make sure I go as often as I can (to train), because I don’t want to not be able to do it.”
Miss Webster, a service co-ordinator at Mardix in Kendal, was scouted for the 17 to 24-year-old category of Miss South Lakes while on a night out in Club M, Barrow.
She is looking forward to the final at the Coronation Hall, Ulverston, on October 27.
But first of all, she is hoping to reach, or even exceed, her £400 fundraising target.
Miss Webster said: “I decided I would do it in fancy dress so it’s something different.
“Hopefully I’ll stand out and if people come over to see what I’m doing, it might help raise more money.
“I’ve been putting posters up in the gym and I’ve ordered a sash I’ll be wearing over the top of the outfit.”
To sponsor Miss Webster, go to www.justgiving.com/michaela-webster, or text kayl82 £(insert your chosen amount) to 70070.
First published at 16:09, Friday, 05 October 2012
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together