Town team became county champs
Last updated at 16:46, Friday, 02 November 2012
MANY readers in the 45 to 55 age group will remember taking part in district teams for Barrow or Copeland against the county’s other council areas such as Eden and Allerdale.
County tournaments were held in a wide range of sports, often contested at Bitts Park, next to Carlisle Castle.
Even if your team got hammered, you generally went home with a free district t-shirt as a souvenir.
This picture, kindly sent in by a reader, is from 1973 and shows the Barrow district soccer team which went on to win the County Cup.
On the back row, from left, is Phil Johnson, Mark Hendley, Terry Marshall, Michael Ballentine, Trevor Jones, Phil Rawlinson, Steve Bonner and Peter McDowall.
On the front row, from left, is Mark Hadley, Neil Richardson, Nigel Keen, Mark Woodhouse (captain), Paul Gribble and Steve O’Brien
First published at 16:43, Friday, 02 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|