Reminder of golden era at stately home
Last updated at 14:32, Friday, 02 November 2012
THE old mansion at Stone Cross, Ulverston, is a shadow if its former self.
In the days when the Kennedy family made a fortune from iron ore it was the scene of major social and charitable events.
A lavish programme from one of them – a country fair in 1910 – is among items at the next Urswick antiques fair on Sunday November 11.
Also on show is a rare copy of the 1880s book by John Fell, of Flan How, Ulverston, called Notes on the Pedigree of Fell of Daltongate.
Another rare book deals with the household accounts of Sarah Fell, of Swarthmoor Hall.
There is a pair of Great Western Railway carriage lamps in brass.
They have internal springs to keep pushing up a candle as it burns down.
And there is a Victorian hydrometer to measure the proof level of alcohol.
First published at 14:30, Friday, 02 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|