Pioneering days at Holker Street
Published at 13:07, Monday, 07 September 2009
LAST Friday was the centenary of the first match played by Barrow AFC on the Holker Street ground.
Not that much seems to have been written about it at the time but we have been able to put together a few snippets from a scarce booklet produced in 1951 for the club’s golden jubilee, a copy of which is being sold in this Sunday’s sale at Furness Auctions.
It noted: “Barrow opened their present headquarters at Holker Street at the commencement of the 1909/10 season.
“It had previously been the home of Hindpool Athletic, and before that, it was a refuse tip.
“For several seasons pieces of glass and tin kept coming to the surface and players used to protect their knees with felt pads.
“Now the playing pitch is one of the best in the Northern Section and the covered stand and two large sections afford excellent accommodation together with the terraces in those portions of the ground still uncovered.
“Further improvements are contemplated.
“It is estimated that Holker Street Ground could house 20,000 spectators – it is hoped that before long this will be put to the test.
“So far the biggest crowd was 14,801 on the occasion of the FA Cup tie with Carlisle United in 1947.
“The first match at Holker Street was a Lancashire Combination fixture on September 4th, 1909, when Eccles Boro were defeated 5-2.
“Barrow’s team was: Mellor, Irvine, Johnstone, Finlay, Downing, Booth, Dillon, White, Shaw, Singlehurst and Grundy.”
It seems the first season at Holker Street was a financial disaster – largely due to poor weather and poor performances keeping the crowd levels low.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|