Little and large of the vintage steam world
Last updated at 17:06, Monday, 22 October 2012
THERE is a century in time and a great deal in size between these versions of the Furness Railway No 3 – better known to steam fans as Old Coppernob.
The five-inch gauge version, shown above, was built by a Mr M Atkinson in the 1950s.
It was in the engineering display as part of the Furness Model Railway Club’s 50th exhibition held at Barrow Sixth Form College.
It may be possible, at some point, to have it back in steam and running on the club’s track in Barrow Park.
Our other picture, below, is the polished metal dome of the original Old Coppernob.
It survived when German bombs destroyed Barrow station in 1941 and is now on display in the National Railway Museum at York.
First published at 16:15, Monday, 22 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing from police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|