Back on the Wembley trail
Published at 10:46, Saturday, 08 May 2010
TOMORROW Barrow RL will host Hunslet in the Rugby League Challenge Cup so Love Memories is taking a look back to some of the great teams which have represented the town in the past 60 years.
1: This is the 1951 Rugby League Challenge Cup final team which lost to Wigan. On the back row, from left, are unknown, Joe Jones, Harry Atkinson, Highie McGregor, Frank Longman, Jack McKinnell, Ralph Hartley, Jack Atkinson (chairman) and Jimmy Trelore.
On the front row, from left, are Jack Grundy, Jimmy Lewthwaite, Phil Jackson, Willie Horne, Ted Toohey, Harry Stretch, Dennis Goodwin and Frank Castle.
Seated, from left, are Wally Bowyer and Billy Little.
2: The 1954 team. On the back row, from left, are Frank Barton, Les Belshaw, Jimmy Lewthwaite, Reg Parker, Dennis Goodwin and Vince McKeeting.
On the front row, from left, are Frank Hill, Jack Grundy, Danny Leatherbarrow, Ted Toohey, Willie Horne, Frank Castle, Clive Best and Bill Healey.
3: The 1970 team. On the back row, from left, are George Crayston, Frank Foster, Joe Robinson, Mick Murphy, ‘Spanky’ McFarlane, Mike Sanderson, Frank Billingham and Rod Singleton.
On the front row, from left, are Keith Jarrett, Robin Whitfield, Tom Brophy, Frank Jones, Dick Evans, Barry Leake and Peter Douglas.
4: The 1981 team. On the back row, from left, are Mick James, Mel Mason, Steve Kirkby, Nigel French, Mal Flynn, Derek Hadley, Kevin James, Dave Chisnall and Alan Evans.
On the front row, from left, are Tony Wainwright, ‘Smiler’ Allen, Ian Ball, Dave Elliott, David Cairns and Ralph McConnell.
5: The 1987 team. On the back row, from left, are ‘Josh’ Kenley, Mal Flynn, Steve Mossop, Tom Kay, Russ Walker, Norman Turley and Nick Du Toit. On the centre row, from left, are Jim Perry, Dave Kendall, Kevin Hastings, Mark Maskell, Gary Kendall, Steve Carter, Les Quirk and Ivor Kelland.
On the front row, from left, are Paul Burns, Tony McNichol, Brian Blacker, Steve Tickle, David Cairns, Mick James and Stewart Williams.
6: The 1990 team. On the back row, from left, are Keith Pemberton, Ian Cartmell, Darren Archer, Glen Middleton and Nigel Simpson.
On the middle row, from left, are Phil Hogan, Simon Kendall, Gary Kendall, Steve Rowan, Phil Thompson, Dave Livesy and Steve Clayton.
On the front row, from left, are Steve Mossop, Neil Shaw, Wayne Jackson, Dean Marwood, Ian O’Neill, Pat Trainor and Alan Moses.
7: The 1988 team. On the back row, from left, are ‘Biff’ Mossop, Nick Du Toit, Dean Marwood, Cavil Heugh, Steve Clayton, Stewart Williams and Steve Maguire.
On the front row, from left, are Steve Tickle, Paul Crarey, Russ Walker, Paul Burns, Brian Blacker and Phil Stott.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|