Landmark Wetheral building for sale
Last updated at 16:28, Friday, 04 May 2012
A landmark building that once housed a girls school, a care home and a probation office is up for sale for nearly £800,000.
Lime House, on The Green in Wetheral, is on the market with Carlisle estate agents Edwin Thompson.
The imposing sandstone building was used until recently as the headquarters of Cumbria Probation Service.
Originally built as two semi-detached houses it was transformed into a girls’ boarding school in the mid-19th century.
The school was later switched to Dalston where it still bears the Lime House name.
John Haley, associate partner at Edwin Thompson, said the building had attracted “strong interest” despite the imposing £795,000 price tag.
“We’ve already done about 20 viewings, mainly from businesses looking for headquarters,” he said. “We’ve been instructed to sell it for use as business premises but there’s no reason why it couldn’t be turned back into two residential houses.
“It’s a fantastic building, very spacious and on a very big plot.
“It has a fascinating history, having been used as an all-girls school and a care home and for the last 17 years as the headquarters for the Probation Service.
“It’s in a fantastic location, overlooking the Green and at 1.3 acres is a big plot for Wetheral.”
The Cumbrian commercial property market remains buoyant, despite well-documented problems nationally, said Mr Haley.
“Prices don’t go up and down so much here as in the rest of the country,” he added.
“The market remains challenging, but places like Wetheral are still extremely desirable.”
Lime House retains many of its original features.
First published at 14:41, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|