Woman, 85, dies on train line in Millom
Last updated at 11:06, Thursday, 20 December 2012
AN elderly woman has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman told the Evening Mail that the woman was from Millom and that a file was being prepared for the coroner.
She said: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station in Cumbria on Wednesday, 19 December following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train.
A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said they were called to Moor Farm Crossing, at Moor Farm, Millom, at 1.14pm.
Northern Rail have said the 1.31pm service from Barrow to Carlisle has been cancelled along with the 2.16pm Barrow to Lancaster service.
The train lines were reopened at 3.20pm, but Network Rail say there will be residual delays to services.
First published at 13:24, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
"All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train." - What the hell does this mean??
How is this in any way relevant to the story??
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown