Woman, 85, dies on train line in Millom
Last updated at 11:06, Thursday, 20 December 2012
AN elderly woman has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman told the Evening Mail that the woman was from Millom and that a file was being prepared for the coroner.
She said: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station in Cumbria on Wednesday, 19 December following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train.
A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said they were called to Moor Farm Crossing, at Moor Farm, Millom, at 1.14pm.
Northern Rail have said the 1.31pm service from Barrow to Carlisle has been cancelled along with the 2.16pm Barrow to Lancaster service.
The train lines were reopened at 3.20pm, but Network Rail say there will be residual delays to services.
First published at 13:24, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
"All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train." - What the hell does this mean??
How is this in any way relevant to the story??
Make your comment
- Lakes team can’t wait to race with ‘best of the best’ in Barrow
- Barrow race flag design contest gets off to a flying start
- Barrow driver charged with attempted GBH by car remanded in custody
- Evening Mail readers offer to rehome abandoned Jack
- Furness General midwife 'should never work again' - mother
- Cornered Barrow thief caused fracas
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Harvey wants new Barrow AFC deal
- Harrison fit again for Barrow Raiders
- Fan-tastic celebrations for Barrow AFC: with picture gallery
- Lakes riders shine in South Cumbria time trials: with picture gallery
- Runners make dash for Dalton 10k
- South Cumbrian darter aims for world's top 64
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- High toll in struggle for beaches and barren hills
- Verses tell of lost lives
- Town ship took centre stage for major amphibious landing
- Research backs up spine theory
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology