Woman, 85, dies on train line in Millom
Last updated at 11:06, Thursday, 20 December 2012
AN elderly woman has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman told the Evening Mail that the woman was from Millom and that a file was being prepared for the coroner.
She said: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station in Cumbria on Wednesday, 19 December following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train.
A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said they were called to Moor Farm Crossing, at Moor Farm, Millom, at 1.14pm.
Northern Rail have said the 1.31pm service from Barrow to Carlisle has been cancelled along with the 2.16pm Barrow to Lancaster service.
The train lines were reopened at 3.20pm, but Network Rail say there will be residual delays to services.
First published at 13:24, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
"All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train." - What the hell does this mean??
How is this in any way relevant to the story??
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together