Woman, 85, dies on train line in Millom
Last updated at 11:06, Thursday, 20 December 2012
AN elderly woman has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman told the Evening Mail that the woman was from Millom and that a file was being prepared for the coroner.
She said: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station in Cumbria on Wednesday, 19 December following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train.
A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said they were called to Moor Farm Crossing, at Moor Farm, Millom, at 1.14pm.
Northern Rail have said the 1.31pm service from Barrow to Carlisle has been cancelled along with the 2.16pm Barrow to Lancaster service.
The train lines were reopened at 3.20pm, but Network Rail say there will be residual delays to services.
First published at 13:24, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
"All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train." - What the hell does this mean??
How is this in any way relevant to the story??
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid