Woman, 85, dies on train line in Millom
Last updated at 11:06, Thursday, 20 December 2012
AN elderly woman has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman told the Evening Mail that the woman was from Millom and that a file was being prepared for the coroner.
She said: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station in Cumbria on Wednesday, 19 December following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train.
A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said they were called to Moor Farm Crossing, at Moor Farm, Millom, at 1.14pm.
Northern Rail have said the 1.31pm service from Barrow to Carlisle has been cancelled along with the 2.16pm Barrow to Lancaster service.
The train lines were reopened at 3.20pm, but Network Rail say there will be residual delays to services.
First published at 13:24, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
"All passengers, of which there are believed to be eight, have been moved to the front of the train." - What the hell does this mean??
How is this in any way relevant to the story??
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Landmark Barrow hotel to make way for garage forecourt
- Arson appeal after Barrow shop fire
- Barrow vandals target mobility scooter
- Flog It! finds a priceless day in Cumbria
- Barrow AFC fans traveling south hit by rail delays as person hit by train
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders need to play as a team - Kendall
- North Lancs and Cumbria League cricket season preview
- Millom out to maintain perfect start
- Holker eye play-off prize
- Sheridan can shine in Barrow AFC title decider
- Lowestoft intent on spoiling Barrow AFC promotion party (2 comments)
- Players know how big this is - Barrow AFC coach Meechan
- Nothing will stop us winning league - Barrow AFC skipper (4 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton