Heavy snow forecast in Cumbria for Wednesday
Last updated at 09:27, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THE Met Office has issued a weather warning for parts of Cumbria as heavy snow is forecast to hit on Wednesday.
Adverse weather is already affecting travel today, with Barrow police currently reporting the A595 between Askam and the A590 is icy and advising motorists to be careful, but the worst is due tomorrow.
According to the Met Office, there is an 80 per cent chance of snow in Barrow tomorrow, although it is not directly covered by the weather warning.
Meanwhile, Ulverston falls within the area affected by the yellow warning – which stretches north and east across the most of the county – and can expect snow throughout most of the day before it gives way to rain in the evening.
A statement from the Met Office said: "Accumulations of 2 to 6 cm could occur at lower elevations, but perhaps more than 10 cm over some hilly areas, where drifting is possible in strong winds.
"However, the snow should ease and revert to rain later in the day, so snow cover at low levels should be temporary.
"The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel."
First published at 17:09, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Anyone told the highways dept ? or are they just going to leave us to it like the other week ?
Make your comment
- Far-flung Cumbrians will post votes
- Ulverston students get to have voice
- Organisers of ‘The Fred’ hoping to break £1m barrier
- Golden Graham looking for a repeat of last year
- Barrow children to tackle litter problem at playing field
- Barrow students tidy nature reserve to help earn environmental award
- New Barrow recruits join beach litter battle
- New A590 signs branded a waste of money (9 comments)
- Date set in child sex offence sentencing for former Barrow man
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Vickerstown reserves complete cup double: with picture gallery
- Dalton beat the rain and Carlisle
- Raiders coach blames Crusaders defeat on indiscipline
- Newbarns crowned Furness hockey champions: with picture gallery
- Table tennis ace Bolton fights hard for England
- Bank holiday no excuse not to vote
- How to keep happy and hopeful at 90
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gill Frankland and Gavin Bartlett-Hurlstone
- Ideas led to building style and new jobs
- Find story of families
- Public Hall date for top recording stars
- Treasures seen in 3D
- WEDDING ALBUM: Dale Sheila Park and Simon Hobson
- FOOD REVIEW: Clarence House, Dalton
- Small trains at the station