Heavy snow forecast in Cumbria for Wednesday
Last updated at 09:27, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THE Met Office has issued a weather warning for parts of Cumbria as heavy snow is forecast to hit on Wednesday.
Adverse weather is already affecting travel today, with Barrow police currently reporting the A595 between Askam and the A590 is icy and advising motorists to be careful, but the worst is due tomorrow.
According to the Met Office, there is an 80 per cent chance of snow in Barrow tomorrow, although it is not directly covered by the weather warning.
Meanwhile, Ulverston falls within the area affected by the yellow warning – which stretches north and east across the most of the county – and can expect snow throughout most of the day before it gives way to rain in the evening.
A statement from the Met Office said: "Accumulations of 2 to 6 cm could occur at lower elevations, but perhaps more than 10 cm over some hilly areas, where drifting is possible in strong winds.
"However, the snow should ease and revert to rain later in the day, so snow cover at low levels should be temporary.
"The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel."
First published at 17:09, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Anyone told the highways dept ? or are they just going to leave us to it like the other week ?
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Four more convicted over brawl at Barrow game
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Officials take advice on range of ideas for Grange historic lido
- Police investigating fail to stop road traffic collision in Barrow
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- Barrow teen hid bat in his shorts while on plant food
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal
- Sacrifices may be needed to save Cumbria maternity services
- Cumbria bus strike threat looms if talks over working hours fail
- Barrow AFC defender to sign new two-year deal
- Barrow AFC keeper battle to heat up
- Barrow karate kid is magic on the mat: WITH PICTURE GALLERY
- Junior girls football league seeking to build on strong campaign (1 comment)
- Barrow ASC earn Diddy League title
- Cents bid to end their final hoodoo
- Furness ace Natasha scores hole-in-one
- Dalton chef Dave serves up a golfing treat
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown