Heavy snow forecast in Cumbria for Wednesday
Last updated at 09:27, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THE Met Office has issued a weather warning for parts of Cumbria as heavy snow is forecast to hit on Wednesday.
Adverse weather is already affecting travel today, with Barrow police currently reporting the A595 between Askam and the A590 is icy and advising motorists to be careful, but the worst is due tomorrow.
According to the Met Office, there is an 80 per cent chance of snow in Barrow tomorrow, although it is not directly covered by the weather warning.
Meanwhile, Ulverston falls within the area affected by the yellow warning – which stretches north and east across the most of the county – and can expect snow throughout most of the day before it gives way to rain in the evening.
A statement from the Met Office said: "Accumulations of 2 to 6 cm could occur at lower elevations, but perhaps more than 10 cm over some hilly areas, where drifting is possible in strong winds.
"However, the snow should ease and revert to rain later in the day, so snow cover at low levels should be temporary.
"The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel."
First published at 17:09, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Anyone told the highways dept ? or are they just going to leave us to it like the other week ?
Make your comment
- Dalton attraction prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- Family fun at Walney Gala
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks
- Cumbria Police release CCTV images in connection with theft
- Ulverston Carnival considered "best in years"
- Sun comes out for South Cumbria wedding winners
- Barrow hospital prepared for inspectors after working hard to improve
- Walney pupils have their say on vision for £50k play park (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business today
- Barrow woman attacked man with ashtray
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow Raiders defeated at Swinton Lions
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds