Heavy snow forecast in Cumbria for Wednesday
Last updated at 09:27, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THE Met Office has issued a weather warning for parts of Cumbria as heavy snow is forecast to hit on Wednesday.
Adverse weather is already affecting travel today, with Barrow police currently reporting the A595 between Askam and the A590 is icy and advising motorists to be careful, but the worst is due tomorrow.
According to the Met Office, there is an 80 per cent chance of snow in Barrow tomorrow, although it is not directly covered by the weather warning.
Meanwhile, Ulverston falls within the area affected by the yellow warning – which stretches north and east across the most of the county – and can expect snow throughout most of the day before it gives way to rain in the evening.
A statement from the Met Office said: "Accumulations of 2 to 6 cm could occur at lower elevations, but perhaps more than 10 cm over some hilly areas, where drifting is possible in strong winds.
"However, the snow should ease and revert to rain later in the day, so snow cover at low levels should be temporary.
"The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel."
First published at 17:09, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Anyone told the highways dept ? or are they just going to leave us to it like the other week ?
Make your comment
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (1 comment)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (3 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Net gain for Furness tennis players: with picture gallery
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid