Heavy snow forecast in Cumbria for Wednesday
Last updated at 09:27, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THE Met Office has issued a weather warning for parts of Cumbria as heavy snow is forecast to hit on Wednesday.
Adverse weather is already affecting travel today, with Barrow police currently reporting the A595 between Askam and the A590 is icy and advising motorists to be careful, but the worst is due tomorrow.
According to the Met Office, there is an 80 per cent chance of snow in Barrow tomorrow, although it is not directly covered by the weather warning.
Meanwhile, Ulverston falls within the area affected by the yellow warning – which stretches north and east across the most of the county – and can expect snow throughout most of the day before it gives way to rain in the evening.
A statement from the Met Office said: "Accumulations of 2 to 6 cm could occur at lower elevations, but perhaps more than 10 cm over some hilly areas, where drifting is possible in strong winds.
"However, the snow should ease and revert to rain later in the day, so snow cover at low levels should be temporary.
"The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel."
First published at 17:09, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Anyone told the highways dept ? or are they just going to leave us to it like the other week ?
Make your comment
- Barrow mum will tackle 40-mile walk to remember her one-year-old
- Child vandals hurl object at Barrow bus
- Millom boy's rare illness progress
- Legal high clampdown at Cumbria festival
- Barrow Sister Act performers show why they’re second to nun
- Evening Mail readers highlight their most important policy areas in online poll
- All action from the Evening Mail’s poll vaults
- Ulverston man given jail sentence after smash-and-grab raid on shop
- Police hunt male who threatened girl in Barrow
- Far-flung Cumbrians will post votes (1 comment)
- Hero Declan does the trick for Cents
- Rhiann earns GB call-up as Duddon paddlers shine
- Barrow social club pockets snooker tables from mystery man
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Vickerstown reserves complete cup double: with picture gallery
- Dalton beat the rain and Carlisle
- Health Matters
- How to help your teen in testing times
- First Aid
- Skeletons of a failed campaign
- Toasting special day with gunfire
- Voters tempted by lure of gold coins
- Bank holiday no excuse not to vote
- How to keep happy and hopeful at 90
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gill Frankland and Gavin Bartlett-Hurlstone