Trailer hanging over M6 motorway bridge in Cumbria continues to cause lane closure
Last updated at 11:22, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
AN M6 motorway lane remains closed in Cumbria to facilitate the safe recovery of a wagon’s trailer which was hanging over a motorway bridge.
At about 8.25am this morning, February 12, Police received a report of a large goods vehicle having left the main carriageway of the M6 travelling Northbound at Calthwaite and coming to rest hanging over a road bridge.
Officers from the Roads Policing Unit together with a vehicle examiner from the Collision Investigation Unit attended the scene and found the 3x3 articulated vehicle hanging precariously from the bridge.
The trailer was a refrigerated unit which was carrying around 10 tonnes of foodstuffs.
The road passing under the bridge was closed by members of the public working nearby before being fully closed by Divisional Officers. The air ambulance attended the incident to check on the driver who was taken to Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, for a check-up.
Police are still investigating how the incident occurred and would like to speak to any witnesses to the incident. If you witnessed the incident or have information, please contact Sergeant Graeme Hodgson or any officer from north Cumbria’s Roads Policing Unit by calling 101.
Two lanes of the M6 northbound between Junctions 41 and 42 were closed while recovery took place earlier today. The first lane closure on the M6 northbound at present remains in place. Recovery is in progress.
First published at 09:43, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|