Trailer hanging over M6 motorway bridge in Cumbria continues to cause lane closure
Last updated at 11:22, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
AN M6 motorway lane remains closed in Cumbria to facilitate the safe recovery of a wagon’s trailer which was hanging over a motorway bridge.
At about 8.25am this morning, February 12, Police received a report of a large goods vehicle having left the main carriageway of the M6 travelling Northbound at Calthwaite and coming to rest hanging over a road bridge.
Officers from the Roads Policing Unit together with a vehicle examiner from the Collision Investigation Unit attended the scene and found the 3x3 articulated vehicle hanging precariously from the bridge.
The trailer was a refrigerated unit which was carrying around 10 tonnes of foodstuffs.
The road passing under the bridge was closed by members of the public working nearby before being fully closed by Divisional Officers. The air ambulance attended the incident to check on the driver who was taken to Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, for a check-up.
Police are still investigating how the incident occurred and would like to speak to any witnesses to the incident. If you witnessed the incident or have information, please contact Sergeant Graeme Hodgson or any officer from north Cumbria’s Roads Policing Unit by calling 101.
Two lanes of the M6 northbound between Junctions 41 and 42 were closed while recovery took place earlier today. The first lane closure on the M6 northbound at present remains in place. Recovery is in progress.
First published at 09:43, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|