Shell found at Barrow building site not explosive
Last updated at 09:02, Monday, 09 June 2014
A SHELL found by builders in Barrow is not explosive according to the bomb squad.
Leck Construction workers at the TK Maxx store in Hollywood Park made the discovery this afternoon.
The scene had been cordoned off and Barrow Police had been in contact with the bomb squad.
However after examining photos of the shell, believed to date from around the Second World War, experts said it was the "shot" from the end of a bomb.
It will now be stored at Barrow Police Station before being collected by the bomb squad tomorrow
Andrew Murphy, commercial director, at Leck Construction, said: "Whilst carrying out work in preparation for the TK Maxx store, excavating a new lift shaft uncovered a 20in relic bomb.
"Once found Steve Anderton cordoned off the area and called police who were there in minutes."
Mr Murphy said the bomb squad is believed to be on its way to the scene.
First published at 15:56, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This used to be the site of a scrap metal yard. there will be all sorts of junk down there!
Make your comment
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Rare bird spotted in Furness (1 comment)
- Families still have unanswered questions after Furness midwife struck off
- Emergency services called after car taken by tide off Walney (2 comments)
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- The ultimate guide to Kidfest in Barrow
- Police appeal after woman assaulted in Barrow
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945