Shell found at Barrow building site not explosive
Last updated at 09:02, Monday, 09 June 2014
A SHELL found by builders in Barrow is not explosive according to the bomb squad.
Leck Construction workers at the TK Maxx store in Hollywood Park made the discovery this afternoon.
The scene had been cordoned off and Barrow Police had been in contact with the bomb squad.
However after examining photos of the shell, believed to date from around the Second World War, experts said it was the "shot" from the end of a bomb.
It will now be stored at Barrow Police Station before being collected by the bomb squad tomorrow
Andrew Murphy, commercial director, at Leck Construction, said: "Whilst carrying out work in preparation for the TK Maxx store, excavating a new lift shaft uncovered a 20in relic bomb.
"Once found Steve Anderton cordoned off the area and called police who were there in minutes."
Mr Murphy said the bomb squad is believed to be on its way to the scene.
First published at 15:56, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This used to be the site of a scrap metal yard. there will be all sorts of junk down there!
Make your comment
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Landmark Barrow hotel to make way for garage forecourt
- Arson appeal after Barrow shop fire
- Barrow vandals target mobility scooter
- Flog It! finds a priceless day in Cumbria
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Barrow Raiders need to play as a team - Kendall
- North Lancs and Cumbria League cricket season preview
- Millom out to maintain perfect start
- Holker eye play-off prize
- Sheridan can shine in Barrow AFC title decider
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton