Shell found at Barrow building site not explosive
Last updated at 09:02, Monday, 09 June 2014
A SHELL found by builders in Barrow is not explosive according to the bomb squad.
Leck Construction workers at the TK Maxx store in Hollywood Park made the discovery this afternoon.
The scene had been cordoned off and Barrow Police had been in contact with the bomb squad.
However after examining photos of the shell, believed to date from around the Second World War, experts said it was the "shot" from the end of a bomb.
It will now be stored at Barrow Police Station before being collected by the bomb squad tomorrow
Andrew Murphy, commercial director, at Leck Construction, said: "Whilst carrying out work in preparation for the TK Maxx store, excavating a new lift shaft uncovered a 20in relic bomb.
"Once found Steve Anderton cordoned off the area and called police who were there in minutes."
Mr Murphy said the bomb squad is believed to be on its way to the scene.
First published at 15:56, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This used to be the site of a scrap metal yard. there will be all sorts of junk down there!
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Van driver sustains minor head injury after A590 crash
- Cumbria great-grandfather wins £727k share of Lotto jackpot
- Sandwich and coffee chains serve up jobs boost for town
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Firm hopes £5m Barrow Island flats revamp will attract new tenants
- Police investigate report of assault against boy at Barrow AFC ground
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (2 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)