Union calls on Barrow factory owner to reconsider job cuts
Last updated at 16:55, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
UNION bosses have called on a manufacturer to reconsider over proposals to cut 400 jobs.
Detergent and personal care manufacturer McBride revealed on Monday its plans to cut its workforce by a quarter.
Job losses are expected across the company’s sites in Barrow, Bradford, Hull and Manchester. Around 240 people are employed at the Park Road factory.
Allan Black, GMB national officer said: “The announcement by McBrides of potential job losses amounting to 25 per cent of its UK workforce will be a devastating blow to impacted GMB members in the plants.
“It will have a huge negative influence on the local communities sustained by the plants directly hit.
“The plants operated in the UK by McBride are in many instances located in some of the most economically depressed areas of the country.
“GMB local organisers will be dealing with this issue at the sharp end and will be pressing the company to justify these cuts and to explore all alternatives.
“GMB will resist any move by the company to impose compulsory redundancy and call upon the company to explore all and any alternative solution to their current problems to save jobs.”
The union said McBride had said none of its four UK sites would close completely, although the Hull and Barrow sites are expected to be the most heavily affected.
The Evening Mail has been unable to confirm this.
First published at 15:56, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with Oxford win: with picture gallery (10 comments)
- McBanned - Barrow drunk's fast food reprimand (4 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|