UK budget signals income tax cuts for thousands across South Cumbria
Published at 12:24, Monday, 10 December 2012
FIGURES show 80,000 people in Barrow, Copeland and South Lakeland are set to have their income tax bills cut as a result of last week's Autumn Statement.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today welcomed the news that 39,400 working people have received a tax cut in South Lakeland and that 3,390 people have been taken out of paying income tax altogether.
In Barrow a further 3,420 will no longer pay income tax and 25,600 people will have their bills reduced, while in Copeland 16,700 residents will pay less tax and 1,810 will pay none at all.
The tax-free personal allowance afforded to workers was set to rise from the current level of £8,105 to £9,205 in 2013/14, but the Autumn Statement signalled a further rise of £235 — taking the personal allowance to £9,440 for next year.
The move is set to life 250,000 low earners out of income tax completely across the country.
Tim said: "We live in an area which boasts one of the lowest unemployment levels in the country; however a huge proportion of those employed here are living on relatively low wages. With a local average salary of less than £24,000, changing the tax threshold is putting a great deal back into the pocket of South Lakes workers! Helping cut the taxes of thousands of hard working people will make a massive difference."
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|