Trial of Millom murder accused to start this week
Published at 11:21, Saturday, 01 March 2014
THE trial of a Millom man accused of murdering his mother, sister and killing the family dog, is due to start this week.
On June 8 last year it is alleged John Jenkin killed his 58-year-old mother, prison worker Alice McMeekin, and his 20-year-old sister Katie Jenkin, a media student at the University of South Wales in Cardiff.
Jenkin appeared by videolink from Ashworth Hospital in Preston Crown Court last month where the 24-year-old pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder.
The pair were found with “severe” head injuries at the family home.
The family dog, a border collie named Fenn, was found dead in the backyard of the property, which is just one door away from the house where Claire Marshall was stabbed to death by a former partner in January 2009.
A major police operation saw several areas of the town sealed off and Jenkin was later arrested at the Millom Ironworks Nature Reserve.
The family had been living in South Wales for the past three years and they had moved back to Millom last spring.
Jenkin, of Newton Street, Millom, was originally due to stand trial at Preston Crown Court on October 28.
At his first appearance in Furness Magistrates’ Court on June 10 he was too distressed to appear in the court room and the case was passed to the crown court in his absence.
He failed to appear at hearings on September 23, September 26 and in December.
Following yesterday’s hearing Jenkin was remanded in custody into the secure Ashworth Hospital, a high security psychiatric hospital.
Jenkin is set to stand trial on March 4 at Preston Crown Court. The trial is expected to last several days.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together