Spate of burglaries in Barrow and Ulverston leads to police warning
Last updated at 13:08, Monday, 28 January 2013
A SPATE of burglaries took place in Barrow and Ulverston within the space of 24 hours.
Now police in South Cumbria are urging residents to lock up, as all the incidents took place at insecure homes.
Some time between 11.50pm on Friday and 7am on Saturday, a PS3 and laptop worth a combined £500 were stolen from a property in Glasgow Street, Barrow.
Also in Barrow, a house on Parade Street was entered between 12.15am and 10.15am on Saturday. A Bose stereo and mobile phones were stolen, resulting in around £800 loss to the victim.
Between 8pm on Friday and 10am on 26 January, a property in Lime Tree Road, Ulverston was targeted. A shopping bag and its contents, worth around £75, was taken.
DS Brian Murray, who is investigating the crimes, said: “These offences aren’t necessarily linked but they do share a common trait in that doors were left insecure.
“Each home that was burgled in this short time frame was targeted because the offender or offenders had easy access to goods that were valuable but easy to snatch – it’s likely each burglary took just a few minutes.
“It is vitally important that residents listen to important crime prevention advice. Doing something as simple as locking your doors and windows can help to stop the worry, distress and inconvenience of becoming a victim of crime.
“Knowing that someone has been in your home is horrible. It is unnerving and often makes residents feel very uncomfortable in their own homes.
“Please take time to check your home security and if you’re unsure of anything, contact us and ask for advice. Getting into the habit of checking your doors and windows are locked could really help us keep you and your property, safe.”
Anyone with information about any of the incidents is asked to contact DS Murray at Barrow CID on101, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 13:02, Monday, 28 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Browse the ASBO gallery (9 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|