Robbery investigation continues after Cumbrian man is tied up
Last updated at 16:04, Thursday, 29 November 2012
DETECTIVES are continuing to investigate a robbery in Appleby - during which a man was tied up and threatened.
On Friday November 23, at 8:45pm, police were called to an address in Station Road, Appleby after a 61-year-old man, a scrap metal dealer, was attacked by three men dressed in balaclavas and dark clothing who entered a house with what’s described as baseball bats or pickaxe handles.
The victim was tied up and assaulted but managed to escape and raise the alarm and the offenders fled the scene and the victim was left very distressed and upset by the ordeal.
Detective Chief Inspector Lee Johnson said: “Between 8.30pm and 8.45pm on Friday, November 23, a robbery took place at a property on Station Road, Appleby.
“As a result of this, the offenders fled and witnesses identified a vehicle - a green Ford Focus Estate - believed to have been involved in the offence, registration number S722 ABR. Also seen, one of the offenders was described as a white male, in his early 20s, approximately 5ft 8”, of slim build with short yellow/blond hair.
“From police inquiries, we have managed to seize the aforementioned vehicle in Bishop Auckland, County Durham. Inquiries as regards the ownership, usage and locations visited by the vehicle are on-going to identify the offenders.
“There are similarities between this offence and the robbery that took place in Kendal on October 2, when a home at Castle Oval in Kendal was broken into and four males wearing masks entered the property. They tied the victims up and after making a thorough search of the house, made off with thousands of pounds worth of cash and various other items.
“I’d like to hear from witnesses who saw anybody acting suspiciously in and around Appleby between 7.30pm and 9.30pm on Friday, November 23, and also anyone who saw the green Ford Focus Estate car.
“Scrap metal dealers in Cumbria have been preparing for cashless transactions which is implemented on Monday 3rd December and therefore have very little money on the premises. I would like to reassure people that Cumbria is one of the safest places in the country and continues to be and I am confident that we will identify these offenders and, ultimately, bring them to justice.”
First published at 16:03, Thursday, 29 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Man's body found on Barrow beach
- Bottles of spirits stolen from Ulverston Food Festival stall
- UPDATE: Missing wild camper in Cumbria found safe and well
- Dog found on Cumbria mountain returns home
- Man, 66, dies after Cumbria crash
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Rare bird spotted in Furness (1 comment)
- Families still have unanswered questions after Furness midwife struck off
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- Capital result and good time for bonding
- Max Wiper desperate for Barrow Raiders return
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|