Road closures for Ulverston Dickensian Festival
Published at 16:15, Wednesday, 21 November 2012
THE annual Ulverston Christmas Dickensian Festival will be taking place this weekend.
The event will see the town enjoy Christmas market stalls, street entertainment and a parade on both days.
In order to allow people to enjoy the event safely, police are appealing for motorists to park away from the town centre from 3pm on Friday night. Police will be placing 'no waiting’ cones in specific areas to facilitate a safe parade and shopping area.
The road closure will be in effect on Saturday and Sunday from 9am until 5.30pm in Market Street, Market place, New Market Street, Union Street, Theatre Street, Upper Brook street, Cross Street and Brogden Street on the town side. The parking restrictions will apply from 3pm on Friday and will be lifted by 5.30 on Sunday.
Ulverston police are asking for residents support to help them clear the town centre of vehicles effectively.
Sergeant Rupert Johnston, of Ulverston police, said: “This is a very popular and well attended event that local people and visitors enjoy year upon year.
“Many thousands of visitors are expected in the town this weekend so, if you are planning on attending, consider transport options due to the road closures and parking restrictions that will be in place for your safety. We are urging people to make use of a park and ride bus running from the Auction Mart on North Lonsdale Road which has been organised by the Festival committee.
“There will be a certain amount of disruption to the town centre but all the local shops and amenities will be open as usual. We hope that we will see the same levels of cooperation from local residents and visitors as we’ve had in previous years to make this a successful event for everyone.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The Dickensian era had been an obstacle and a burden to the ordinary people of that particular time so,knowledge of the past is the safest and surest emancipation.
Now,will somebody please explain why these idiots in Ulverston like to celebrate this remarkably horrible part of British life gone by,thank god.
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery