Road closures for Ulverston Dickensian Festival
Published at 16:15, Wednesday, 21 November 2012
THE annual Ulverston Christmas Dickensian Festival will be taking place this weekend.
The event will see the town enjoy Christmas market stalls, street entertainment and a parade on both days.
In order to allow people to enjoy the event safely, police are appealing for motorists to park away from the town centre from 3pm on Friday night. Police will be placing 'no waiting’ cones in specific areas to facilitate a safe parade and shopping area.
The road closure will be in effect on Saturday and Sunday from 9am until 5.30pm in Market Street, Market place, New Market Street, Union Street, Theatre Street, Upper Brook street, Cross Street and Brogden Street on the town side. The parking restrictions will apply from 3pm on Friday and will be lifted by 5.30 on Sunday.
Ulverston police are asking for residents support to help them clear the town centre of vehicles effectively.
Sergeant Rupert Johnston, of Ulverston police, said: “This is a very popular and well attended event that local people and visitors enjoy year upon year.
“Many thousands of visitors are expected in the town this weekend so, if you are planning on attending, consider transport options due to the road closures and parking restrictions that will be in place for your safety. We are urging people to make use of a park and ride bus running from the Auction Mart on North Lonsdale Road which has been organised by the Festival committee.
“There will be a certain amount of disruption to the town centre but all the local shops and amenities will be open as usual. We hope that we will see the same levels of cooperation from local residents and visitors as we’ve had in previous years to make this a successful event for everyone.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The Dickensian era had been an obstacle and a burden to the ordinary people of that particular time so,knowledge of the past is the safest and surest emancipation.
Now,will somebody please explain why these idiots in Ulverston like to celebrate this remarkably horrible part of British life gone by,thank god.
Make your comment
- Elaine’s qualifications all add up to Ulverston firm's success
- UPDATE: Coroner records a verdict of accidental death at Windermere sailor inquest
- GSK’s £350m development reaches the halfway stage
- Car damaged by falling chair in Barrow
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- Chance to ride route of Barrow cycle race
- Barrow boy’s family hits out at children’s services
- SLIDESHOW: Barrow photographers snap up awards for artistry
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Capital result and good time for bonding
- RAIDERS REVIEW: We need to bring in a few quality players
- Texas talks throw up Barrow AFC transfer targets
- Barrow Raiders terror trio ready to be unleashed on Coventry
- County Matchplay Championship title first for Ulverston golfer
- Vets comp at Ulverston Golf Club a huge success
- Defending champions Furness back to winning ways
- Barrow Raiders unveil new youth plans (3 comments)
- Windermere win for Silecroft and Barrow trio
- Medal magic for Barrow martial arts masters
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid
- All aboard for a free trip into bus history
- Just rabbiting on about DIY skills
- Reply pleasing and surprising
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- From trenches to Dunkirk role