Road closures for Ulverston Dickensian Festival
Published at 16:15, Wednesday, 21 November 2012
THE annual Ulverston Christmas Dickensian Festival will be taking place this weekend.
The event will see the town enjoy Christmas market stalls, street entertainment and a parade on both days.
In order to allow people to enjoy the event safely, police are appealing for motorists to park away from the town centre from 3pm on Friday night. Police will be placing 'no waiting’ cones in specific areas to facilitate a safe parade and shopping area.
The road closure will be in effect on Saturday and Sunday from 9am until 5.30pm in Market Street, Market place, New Market Street, Union Street, Theatre Street, Upper Brook street, Cross Street and Brogden Street on the town side. The parking restrictions will apply from 3pm on Friday and will be lifted by 5.30 on Sunday.
Ulverston police are asking for residents support to help them clear the town centre of vehicles effectively.
Sergeant Rupert Johnston, of Ulverston police, said: “This is a very popular and well attended event that local people and visitors enjoy year upon year.
“Many thousands of visitors are expected in the town this weekend so, if you are planning on attending, consider transport options due to the road closures and parking restrictions that will be in place for your safety. We are urging people to make use of a park and ride bus running from the Auction Mart on North Lonsdale Road which has been organised by the Festival committee.
“There will be a certain amount of disruption to the town centre but all the local shops and amenities will be open as usual. We hope that we will see the same levels of cooperation from local residents and visitors as we’ve had in previous years to make this a successful event for everyone.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The Dickensian era had been an obstacle and a burden to the ordinary people of that particular time so,knowledge of the past is the safest and surest emancipation.
Now,will somebody please explain why these idiots in Ulverston like to celebrate this remarkably horrible part of British life gone by,thank god.
Make your comment
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together