Road closures for Ulverston Dickensian Festival
Published at 16:15, Wednesday, 21 November 2012
THE annual Ulverston Christmas Dickensian Festival will be taking place this weekend.
The event will see the town enjoy Christmas market stalls, street entertainment and a parade on both days.
In order to allow people to enjoy the event safely, police are appealing for motorists to park away from the town centre from 3pm on Friday night. Police will be placing 'no waiting’ cones in specific areas to facilitate a safe parade and shopping area.
The road closure will be in effect on Saturday and Sunday from 9am until 5.30pm in Market Street, Market place, New Market Street, Union Street, Theatre Street, Upper Brook street, Cross Street and Brogden Street on the town side. The parking restrictions will apply from 3pm on Friday and will be lifted by 5.30 on Sunday.
Ulverston police are asking for residents support to help them clear the town centre of vehicles effectively.
Sergeant Rupert Johnston, of Ulverston police, said: “This is a very popular and well attended event that local people and visitors enjoy year upon year.
“Many thousands of visitors are expected in the town this weekend so, if you are planning on attending, consider transport options due to the road closures and parking restrictions that will be in place for your safety. We are urging people to make use of a park and ride bus running from the Auction Mart on North Lonsdale Road which has been organised by the Festival committee.
“There will be a certain amount of disruption to the town centre but all the local shops and amenities will be open as usual. We hope that we will see the same levels of cooperation from local residents and visitors as we’ve had in previous years to make this a successful event for everyone.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The Dickensian era had been an obstacle and a burden to the ordinary people of that particular time so,knowledge of the past is the safest and surest emancipation.
Now,will somebody please explain why these idiots in Ulverston like to celebrate this remarkably horrible part of British life gone by,thank god.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton