Report into Astute grounding published
Published at 17:29, Monday, 23 April 2012
A DAMNING report into the grounding of a Barrow-built submarine has revealed officers failed to follow procedure.
First in class HMS Astute ran aground off the coast of Skye in October 2010 while undergoing a boat transfer during sea trials.
An investigation was launched and a report published yesterday revealed the main cause of the boat’s grounding was “non adherence to correct procedures for the planning and execution of the navigation combined with a significant lack of appreciation by the officer of the watch of the proximity of danger”.
The report also raised concerns about the boat itself, citing “some deficiencies with equipment” as causal factors in the grounding.
While individual names are blacked out within its pages, the report reveals the MoD considered court martial proceedings but instead took internal disciplinary action against one individual and administrative action against two others.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|