Primary school near Barrow wins permission to add nursery class
Last updated at 11:48, Thursday, 06 December 2012
Nursery classes will be formally created at two village schools after Cumbria County Council’s cabinet today approved plans for extending the age range of pupils.
Newton Community School near Barrow and Irthington Village Community School near Brampton both applied to Cumbria County Council for permission to cater for nursery children by increasing the age range to three to 11-years-old from four to 11.
To gauge local views on extending the age ranges, the county council carried out a consultation this summer with staff, parents, governors, the local community and neighbouring schools.
With Newton School, 98 per cent of respondents were in favour of the proposals to extend the age range, while in Irthington, 96 per cent supported the changes.
Today (6 December) cabinet gave the go-ahead to approve the statutory proposals that will see the new school age ranges come into effect from January 2013.
Councillor Duncan Fairbairn, Cumbria County Council’s cabinet member for schools and learning, said: “These changes are aimed at meeting expected future levels of demand for places and the educational needs of children.
“The provision of nursery classes at both schools will also allow nursery pupils to mix and engage with children from their community at an early age and give parents nursery facilities closer to home.
“The consultation we carried out showed overwhelming local support for the changes at both schools, so I’m delighted we’ve been able to give them the go-ahead.”
First published at 11:44, Thursday, 06 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|