Police in renewed appeal for information on burglar who targeted elderly Barrow resident
Last updated at 12:35, Monday, 10 December 2012
DETECTIVES are continuing the hunt for a sneak-in burglar who targeted an 88-year-old woman in Walney.
The intruder entered the frail pensioner's property, in Bristol Street, at around 2pm on Tuesday, November 27, possibly while she was in the kitchen having a hair cut.
After showing the hairdresser out of the property she disturbed a man in her bedroom, who claimed to have been in the house mistakenly.
Cumbria police say they have received numerous calls about the incident and would like to thank members of the public who have already given information.
The man is described as white, aged in his 30s, of a medium build, with short, dark, ‘bushy’ style hair.
He was described as clean shaven, and was seen wearing loose black coloured clothing and carrying a luminous yellow notepad.
Detective sergeant John Dilks, of Barrow police, said: “It is likely that the criminal we are looking for called on more than the one resident in the Bristol Street area and we are re-appealing to local residents to think back to try and jog their memories in case the description sounds familiar.
"Perhaps he wasn’t just in the area on the afternoon of November 27 – it is possible he was in the area in the days or weeks before.
“We have also had another possible sighting of a man matching the description on Black Butts Lane on the same afternoon as the burglary. Were you in the area then? Do you recognise the description or do you recall a person who could match this description calling at your door?
"If you have information you think could help, please don’t hesitate to ring us."
Anyone with any information is asked to call Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 12:32, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|