Police in renewed appeal for information on burglar who targeted elderly Barrow resident
Last updated at 12:35, Monday, 10 December 2012
DETECTIVES are continuing the hunt for a sneak-in burglar who targeted an 88-year-old woman in Walney.
The intruder entered the frail pensioner's property, in Bristol Street, at around 2pm on Tuesday, November 27, possibly while she was in the kitchen having a hair cut.
After showing the hairdresser out of the property she disturbed a man in her bedroom, who claimed to have been in the house mistakenly.
Cumbria police say they have received numerous calls about the incident and would like to thank members of the public who have already given information.
The man is described as white, aged in his 30s, of a medium build, with short, dark, ‘bushy’ style hair.
He was described as clean shaven, and was seen wearing loose black coloured clothing and carrying a luminous yellow notepad.
Detective sergeant John Dilks, of Barrow police, said: “It is likely that the criminal we are looking for called on more than the one resident in the Bristol Street area and we are re-appealing to local residents to think back to try and jog their memories in case the description sounds familiar.
"Perhaps he wasn’t just in the area on the afternoon of November 27 – it is possible he was in the area in the days or weeks before.
“We have also had another possible sighting of a man matching the description on Black Butts Lane on the same afternoon as the burglary. Were you in the area then? Do you recognise the description or do you recall a person who could match this description calling at your door?
"If you have information you think could help, please don’t hesitate to ring us."
Anyone with any information is asked to call Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 12:32, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|