Paper mill blaze drama
Last updated at 14:02, Monday, 25 July 2011
WORKERS were evacuated from a Barrow factory when a blaze broke out.
Firefighters were called to tackle the fire at the Kimberly-Clark paper mill in Park Road, Barrow, in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Three crews from Barrow and Walney attended and took three hours to put out the fire.
Fire chiefs said the blaze may have started when a spark ignited dust next to a machine.
The piece of machinery, which is around 20 metres by six metres in size and cuts large rolls into smaller toilet rolls, is expected to be out of action for two or three days.
The entire site was evacuated when the blaze was discovered but some workers were allowed to return to parts of the plant while firefighters tackled the fire.
There were 65 workers on site at the time and around 25 in the mill where the fire started.
Roger Exley, station manager at Barrow fire station, said: “We don’t know the exact cause of the fire but it was a substantial fire and it posed a significant risk both to the workers and the firefighters.
“With this machinery, they often have a build-up of dust at the base of the machine and every so often there will be a spark which ignites it.
“The machine itself is a massive piece of kit, so putting out the fire was quite complex; it’s inside and so there were difficulties in terms of access and lighting but the fire crew from Kimberly-Clark had worked to keep it under control until we got there.”
Firefighters were called at 4.04am. The fire took three hours to extinguish.
A total of 16 firefighters attended the site and used two hose reels and six breathing apparatus.
First published at 13:41, Monday, 25 July 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|