X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 17 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Panto cancelled as firefighters tackle Barrow charity shop blaze

A PANTOMIME audience had to be evacuated from the theatre after a fire broke out in an adjacent Barrow charity shop.

Firefighters and police were called to the British Heart Foundation shop in Portland Walk at 6pm yesterday after a fire started inside the building. 

The Red Riding Hood panto which was being performed in The Forum had to be cancelled for safety reasons. 

A spokeswoman for The Forum said all customers were offered the chance to watch the show again today for no extra charge. 

Police cordoned off an area of the town centre around the shop while firefighters put out the fire. The shop had closed for the day and no members of staff were inside at the time.

Evening Mail columnist Darren McSweeney was one of the first on the scene and said fire crews used an aerial ladder platform - and there was a large police presence to enforce the cordon and ensure public safety.

A Cumbria Fire and Rescue spokeswoman confirmed the emergency call was received at 5.45pm.

She said three pumping engines and one aerial ladder appliance attended.

One of the appliances was still at the scene at 8.20pm, but the blaze had been extinguished by this time.

She said the fire was confined to the groundfloor of the two-storey building.
 

Have your say

Sick of reading about 'Scallywags' Etc been to blame for this... Narrow mindedness get right on my nerves... To the future. Yes Darren I will gladly send some clothes and whatever else may be useful to the shop, the more that do the sooner it will be raising vital funds again.

Posted by Jan on 31 December 2012 at 18:33

Sue, as far as the authorities are aware, it looks to be an electrical fire, the store was closed and secured at the time. Whilst there are rumours, I think the fact the store was secured rules this out. When the fire was first spotted, I am led to believe it was clearly in the electrical area of the store, TV's etc. once the store is refurbished, it's going to take a really big push from the community to restock it, I hope the people of the town can join in and donate as many items as possible and help them get back on their feet and raising money for this vital charity.

Posted by Darren McSweeney on 31 December 2012 at 14:54

View all 3 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Do you use the beaches in South Cumbria?

Yes

No

Show Result


Click here to sign up for the Energy For Life -Walney Fun Run

Energy
Dining out

MDW plumbing and heating 10 year anniversary

Walk to remember 2014

Iconic

Going digital


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out