MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
- Shock figures reveal the criminal offences taking place in South Cumbria schools
- Memory of Millom man lives on as £5k is raised for charity
- Fostering call made after shock figures revealed in Cumbria
- Campaigners change strategy in battle for Ulverston town centre’s soul (1 comment)
- Tayla-made campaign will keep life-saving on track
- Runners pound Dalton streets in 10k event
- ‘Selfless’ widower from Ulverston honoured for £78k fundraising effort
- South Cumbria rabbiting gang laugh after being fined for crimes
- Travel chaos looming in south Cumbria as rail union votes on strike
- Barrow teen avoids jail for drunken headbutt
- Barrow Raiders suffer defeat at North Wales
- CONFERENCE North’s sharpest shooters
- 'Barrow Raiders must beat away day blues'
- Six of the most important games in Barrow AFC's fight for the title
- Goal-hungry Barrow striker Andy Cook served up goals feast for fans
- Barrow Bluebirds captain Simon Grand dishes the dirt on his fellow players
- Barrow AFC sharpshooter Andy Cook picks out some extra special strikes
- It’s onwards and upwards says Barrow AFC's ambitious millionaire owner Paul Casson
- From Ormsgill in Barrow to Texas in America - Bluebirds owner's incredible journey
- New Barrow AFC shirt 'a good look' for next season says club's owner
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gill Frankland and Gavin Bartlett-Hurlstone
- Ideas led to building style and new jobs
- Find story of families
- Public Hall date for top recording stars
- Treasures seen in 3D
- WEDDING ALBUM: Dale Sheila Park and Simon Hobson
- FOOD REVIEW: Clarence House, Dalton
- Small trains at the station
- Did resurrection man become slave trader?
- I’m still having DIY flashbacks