Man found dead in burning Cumbria house
Last updated at 10:47, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
POLICE officers and the Fire and Rescue Service attended a house fire in Carlisle this morning.
Emergency services were called to a property on Linton Street, Carlisle at around 3am.
On arrival, smoke was coming out of the window on the first floor. Two teams of two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building with a hose reel and located a fire.
The teams then extinguished the fire and discovered the occupant on the floor in the living room.
A paramedic on the scene confirmed that the 66-year-old male occupant was deceased.
Police are now working to formally identify the man and inform his immediate family.
A full investigation into the cause of the fire is underway by fire investigators and detectives however early indications suggest that there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
The coroner will be informed.
Firefighters in Carlisle are urging people to have their free home fire safety checks following the tragic death.
Carlisle’s West Station Manager, Craig Drinkald said: “It is especially tragic when a fatal house fire occurs.
"We would like to take this opportunity to remind people to check their smoke alarms on a regular basis or better still, arrange for a free home fire safety check.
“During a home fire safety check, we not only check every room in the home for potential fire hazards, we speak to people about their everyday behaviour in the home to try and identify anything they do that may increase the risk of a fire in the home.
“Booking a home fire safety check couldn’t be easier, you can call freephone on 0800 358 4777 or you can book online via our website.
"Anyone can have a free home fire safety check and we encourage those who have no had one yet to book theirs now. It could just save your life.”
Mr Drinkald added: “Crews will remain in the area for the next couple of days so if you do see a fire engine around your way, please feel free to have a chat to the crew who will be pleased carry out a free Home Fire Safety Check or alternatively arrange a more suitable time and date to return.”
First published at 08:47, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- Enjoy the sun: Best beaches in south Cumbria (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|