Man bailed in Cumbria rape investigation
Last updated at 15:10, Tuesday, 18 December 2012
AN 18-year-old man arrested after a teen reported she had been raped in Barrow has been released on police bail.
At around 2.30am yesterday, police were informed that a 17-year-old woman had entered Central Cars, Slater Street ,and stated that she had been raped.
The 18-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of rape and has been bailed until tomorrow.
Detective sergeant Mike Wallace said: “We are in the very early stages of our investigation but need to hear from anybody who was in the area of Slater Street, Barrow at about 2:30 am and may have seen a woman who was upset.
“Understandably, the victim is very distressed and is being supported by specially trained officers and her family. We always advise people to take care when they are out and about - make sure someone knows where you are and what time to expect you home. There is more advice about personal safety on our website, under our personal safety campaign.
Anyone who seen the woman or has any information about the incident is asked to contact Cumbria Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
For more personal safety advice please visit www.cumbria.police.uk.
First published at 15:34, Monday, 17 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|