COMMUNITY champions, selfless volunteers and local heroes took centre stage last on Friday night at the Love Barrow Awards.
The finale of the evening saw Victoria Junior School headteacher Caroline Vernon named Barrow's Ambassador of The Year.
Click on the headline above to see all this year's category winners.
• Click here to read about this year's nominees
POLICE are investigating a burglary at a Barrow pub which occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning.
POLICE are trying to trace a driver who left the scene of an accident in Barrow.
A MINISTER has said the Department for Education is reassured that a Furness secondary school is making necessary improvements.
- Barrow Facebook group to name and shame peadophiles is one year old
- Controversial proposals to close Barrow town centre street set to go before councillors
- Building work that could change the face of Millom town centre has now been put into action
- More than 200 sex offences involving under-18s took place in Cumbria in the space of a year.
WOMEN and girls of all ages joined forces to mark International Women’s Day with a special event in Furness.
A BARROW drink-driver caught almost four times the legal limit has been banned for four years.
THE sentencing of a mentally-ill Millom man who axed his mum and sister to death will take place next week.
Lord Ballyedmond, owner of Corby Castle, near Carlisle, has been killed in a helicopter crash.
BEN Merriman MPharm (Hons) MRPharmS, pharmacist with the local and independent Murray group of pharmacies, talks about smoking and local services designed to help you stop.
THE boom days of the 1980s look set to return to Barrow shipyard following a major announcement that more than £300m is to be spent on the site.
We at the Evening Mail have so far been bested by otters. It is not easy to admit that a team of qualified photographers and journalists have been defeated by small and furry water-dwelling mammals, but it is the truth.
• Click here to find out how you could win £50 if you can get a clear picture of the Otters in Ulverston
BARROW shipyard needs the investment in excess of £300m to meet the challenges of building the massive Successor submarines.
You could win a Dyson DC58 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner in our reverse auction.
• Click here to find out how to enter
E-SAFETY is a priority area for schools as they help to educate their pupils about the potential risks, but also the creative benefits, of social media and technology. SUE HEWSON an assistant head at Ulverston Victoria High School, discusses e-safety and how she is looking to share this work with parents
BARROW and Furness pet owners - along with those from South Lakeland and Millom - are invited to enter their beloved pets in the Evening Mail’s Top Pet contest.
• Click here to see some of the entries that have been submitted so far and find out how to submit yours (6 comments)
A CHARITY received a cheque for £1,000 last week for the great work it does within the community.
• Would you like to apply for your organisation to receive £1,000 from the Lake District Farmers Armstrong Family Charitable Fund? Click here to apply
BUDDING young garden designers are being encouraged to get creative and see their work exhibited at one of the area’s premier gardening festivals. The North-West Evening Mail has teamed up with Holker Garden Festival and Crooklands of Dalton to run an exciting competition for children and young people of primary school age and the secondary schools years seven to nine.
• Click here to download the entry form
Coach & camping package
Book with £45pp deposit
On sale now
AN “absolutely fantastic” night of live music and games raised £780 for St Mary’s Hospice.
Send us your pet pictures and we will include them in this online gallery.
• Click here to find out how
Please be aware that submitting your photo for this gallery WILL NOT enter it into our Top Pet competition. To enter the competition you must email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your pet's breed and age (approximate is fine) as well as your name and daytime phone number.
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Barrow skills event aims to inspire better career choices
- Cumbrian recruitment firm on national award shortlist
- Time running out for Cumbrian firms to get a business boost
- Defence boom will create thousands of BAE Systems jobs in Barrow
- Benefits of BAE Systems Barrow shipyard expansion spread far and wide
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (25 comments)
- Two teachers suspended from Barrow school (19 comments)
- Former school buildings in Barrow to go up for auction (18 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (13 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|