Inquest to be held into death of man discovered on West Cumbria beach
Last updated at 11:03, Monday, 04 March 2013
AN INQUEST will be held tomorrow into the death of a man found on a west Cumbrian beach more than 12 years ago.
The human remains were discovered at Annaside beach, Bootle, on December 15 2000, but no match was ever made despite a full DNA profile being drawn up.
The body was finally identified last year as John Paul Crawford, from Dublin.
The 28-year-old had not been seen since October 17 2000.
Cumbria police worked extensively with the National Missing Persons Bureau but all attempts to identify the remains “over months and years” proved negative.
Eventually, Ireland’s na police service, the Garda, obtained personal belongings of Mr Crawford.
They were also tested for DNA and a match was found.
An application was made to reopen the original inquest following the discovery of Mr Crawford’s body.
A statement from the officer of David Roberts, north and west Cumbria coroner, said that the inquest would be held in Cockermouth at 11am tomorrow “following the quashing of the coroner’s verdict of April 27, 2001”.
Police said there was no evidence to suggest the death was suspicious.
Speaking last year when the body of Mr Crawford was identified, Detective Sergeant Colin Edgar, from the Major Investigation Team, said:
“From the recent work of the Garda Serious Crime Review Team, in liaison with Cumbria Constabulary, we have been able to identify the remains and bring closure to a family.
“Without the hard work, time and dedication of the officers in the Garda Serious Crime Review Team and NPIA missing person bureau these remains would not have been identified.”
First published at 10:35, Monday, 04 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|