Hawkshead firm shortlisted for Rural Oscars
Last updated at 16:49, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
A LAKE District firm has been shortlisted in a prestigious countryside awards.
The Hawkshead Relish Company has been shortlisted in the North West local food category of the 2012 Countryside Alliance Awards, best known as the 'Rural Oscars'.
Maria Whitehead, a director of the Hawkshead Relish Company, said she was 'thrilled' with the nomination.
The awards, now in their eighth year, are a public-nomination led scheme which celebrate the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick.
Each finalist has received numerous nominations from supportive customers and hopes to go all the way to the Parliamentary final in March.
Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “I want to congratulate Hawkshead Relish for making the North West final of the Rural Oscars.
"These awards are an excellent way to promote the local businessmen and women who are working hard to keep our economy going. I have my fingers crossed for both businesses – I hope they get the awards that their hard work deserves.”
Countryside Alliance north west regional director, Simon Hamlyn, said: “It is exciting to see such a diverse range of rural businesses included in this list and I look forward to meeting the people behind each shop counter. The North West continues to have a tough year with bad weather affecting the harvest and tourism. It is vital that we support our small rural businesses and help to revive our rural economy – celebrating them in the ‘Rural Oscars’ gives them a well-deserved boost.”
First published at 16:48, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Excellent pickles, chutneys and sauces, good to see such a top class product coming from a local firm. Their brown sauce is without comparison. Well done.
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course