Hawkshead firm shortlisted for Rural Oscars
Last updated at 16:49, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
A LAKE District firm has been shortlisted in a prestigious countryside awards.
The Hawkshead Relish Company has been shortlisted in the North West local food category of the 2012 Countryside Alliance Awards, best known as the 'Rural Oscars'.
Maria Whitehead, a director of the Hawkshead Relish Company, said she was 'thrilled' with the nomination.
The awards, now in their eighth year, are a public-nomination led scheme which celebrate the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick.
Each finalist has received numerous nominations from supportive customers and hopes to go all the way to the Parliamentary final in March.
Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “I want to congratulate Hawkshead Relish for making the North West final of the Rural Oscars.
"These awards are an excellent way to promote the local businessmen and women who are working hard to keep our economy going. I have my fingers crossed for both businesses – I hope they get the awards that their hard work deserves.”
Countryside Alliance north west regional director, Simon Hamlyn, said: “It is exciting to see such a diverse range of rural businesses included in this list and I look forward to meeting the people behind each shop counter. The North West continues to have a tough year with bad weather affecting the harvest and tourism. It is vital that we support our small rural businesses and help to revive our rural economy – celebrating them in the ‘Rural Oscars’ gives them a well-deserved boost.”
First published at 16:48, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Excellent pickles, chutneys and sauces, good to see such a top class product coming from a local firm. Their brown sauce is without comparison. Well done.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton