Hawkshead firm shortlisted for Rural Oscars
Last updated at 16:49, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
A LAKE District firm has been shortlisted in a prestigious countryside awards.
The Hawkshead Relish Company has been shortlisted in the North West local food category of the 2012 Countryside Alliance Awards, best known as the 'Rural Oscars'.
Maria Whitehead, a director of the Hawkshead Relish Company, said she was 'thrilled' with the nomination.
The awards, now in their eighth year, are a public-nomination led scheme which celebrate the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick.
Each finalist has received numerous nominations from supportive customers and hopes to go all the way to the Parliamentary final in March.
Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “I want to congratulate Hawkshead Relish for making the North West final of the Rural Oscars.
"These awards are an excellent way to promote the local businessmen and women who are working hard to keep our economy going. I have my fingers crossed for both businesses – I hope they get the awards that their hard work deserves.”
Countryside Alliance north west regional director, Simon Hamlyn, said: “It is exciting to see such a diverse range of rural businesses included in this list and I look forward to meeting the people behind each shop counter. The North West continues to have a tough year with bad weather affecting the harvest and tourism. It is vital that we support our small rural businesses and help to revive our rural economy – celebrating them in the ‘Rural Oscars’ gives them a well-deserved boost.”
First published at 16:48, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Excellent pickles, chutneys and sauces, good to see such a top class product coming from a local firm. Their brown sauce is without comparison. Well done.
Make your comment
- Elaine’s qualifications all add up to Ulverston firm's success
- UPDATE: Coroner records a verdict of accidental death at Windermere sailor inquest
- GSK’s £350m development reaches the halfway stage
- Car damaged by falling chair in Barrow
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- Chance to ride route of Barrow cycle race
- Barrow boy’s family hits out at children’s services
- SLIDESHOW: Barrow photographers snap up awards for artistry
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Capital result and good time for bonding
- RAIDERS REVIEW: We need to bring in a few quality players
- Texas talks throw up Barrow AFC transfer targets
- Barrow Raiders terror trio ready to be unleashed on Coventry
- County Matchplay Championship title first for Ulverston golfer
- Vets comp at Ulverston Golf Club a huge success
- Defending champions Furness back to winning ways
- Barrow Raiders unveil new youth plans (3 comments)
- Windermere win for Silecroft and Barrow trio
- Medal magic for Barrow martial arts masters
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid
- All aboard for a free trip into bus history
- Just rabbiting on about DIY skills
- Reply pleasing and surprising
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- From trenches to Dunkirk role