Hawkshead firm shortlisted for Rural Oscars
Last updated at 16:49, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
A LAKE District firm has been shortlisted in a prestigious countryside awards.
The Hawkshead Relish Company has been shortlisted in the North West local food category of the 2012 Countryside Alliance Awards, best known as the 'Rural Oscars'.
Maria Whitehead, a director of the Hawkshead Relish Company, said she was 'thrilled' with the nomination.
The awards, now in their eighth year, are a public-nomination led scheme which celebrate the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick.
Each finalist has received numerous nominations from supportive customers and hopes to go all the way to the Parliamentary final in March.
Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “I want to congratulate Hawkshead Relish for making the North West final of the Rural Oscars.
"These awards are an excellent way to promote the local businessmen and women who are working hard to keep our economy going. I have my fingers crossed for both businesses – I hope they get the awards that their hard work deserves.”
Countryside Alliance north west regional director, Simon Hamlyn, said: “It is exciting to see such a diverse range of rural businesses included in this list and I look forward to meeting the people behind each shop counter. The North West continues to have a tough year with bad weather affecting the harvest and tourism. It is vital that we support our small rural businesses and help to revive our rural economy – celebrating them in the ‘Rural Oscars’ gives them a well-deserved boost.”
First published at 16:48, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Excellent pickles, chutneys and sauces, good to see such a top class product coming from a local firm. Their brown sauce is without comparison. Well done.
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid