Hawkshead firm shortlisted for Rural Oscars
Last updated at 16:49, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
A LAKE District firm has been shortlisted in a prestigious countryside awards.
The Hawkshead Relish Company has been shortlisted in the North West local food category of the 2012 Countryside Alliance Awards, best known as the 'Rural Oscars'.
Maria Whitehead, a director of the Hawkshead Relish Company, said she was 'thrilled' with the nomination.
The awards, now in their eighth year, are a public-nomination led scheme which celebrate the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick.
Each finalist has received numerous nominations from supportive customers and hopes to go all the way to the Parliamentary final in March.
Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “I want to congratulate Hawkshead Relish for making the North West final of the Rural Oscars.
"These awards are an excellent way to promote the local businessmen and women who are working hard to keep our economy going. I have my fingers crossed for both businesses – I hope they get the awards that their hard work deserves.”
Countryside Alliance north west regional director, Simon Hamlyn, said: “It is exciting to see such a diverse range of rural businesses included in this list and I look forward to meeting the people behind each shop counter. The North West continues to have a tough year with bad weather affecting the harvest and tourism. It is vital that we support our small rural businesses and help to revive our rural economy – celebrating them in the ‘Rural Oscars’ gives them a well-deserved boost.”
First published at 16:48, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Excellent pickles, chutneys and sauces, good to see such a top class product coming from a local firm. Their brown sauce is without comparison. Well done.
Make your comment
- Dalton dad delighted with NHS review role
- Report into Furness mental health team finds high standards - but problems with medical records
- Dalton teen who punched pregnant partner in stomach is sentenced
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Competitors in fine voice for final day of Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Ulverston gala event fitting end to week of Cumbria music competition
- Updated: Police investigate report of assault against boy at Barrow AFC ground
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (2 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final