Guns transported through Barrow streets
Last updated at 16:35, Monday, 20 January 2014
THREE large turret guns have been transported through the streets of Barrow.
The three Nakhoda Ragam-class vessels which have been docked in Barrow for the last six years were built in the 1990s by BAE in Scotstoun, Glasgow, for the Royal Brunei Navy at a cost of £600m.
But after they were completed in 2002, Brunei refused to accept them, despite the ships being
declared fit by the Royal Navy.
The legal battle was resolved by international arbitration in 2007 – in favour of BAE – and the ships were handed over to Brunei.
They were moved to Barrow that year to be stored while the German Lürssen shipyard, which had been contracted by Brunei, tried to find a buyer.
Now, after more than 10 years in limbo, a deal has been struck to sell the vessels to the Indonesian navy.
James Fisher Marine Services has maintained the vessels during their time in Barrow and the three 19-tonne Oto Melara 76mm guns have been transported from storage at Steele’s Removals back onto the ships.
Some shipyard workers were called out of work and asked to move their cars when, at one point, the lorry transporting the guns got into difficulty on a roundabout.
The driver of the low-loader decided to wait until the vehicles had been moved due to the camber of the road.
First published at 16:28, Monday, 20 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
ok nice storey , why the crane ?no one moved a car, why was the container propped up by scaffolding poles.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton