Guinness World Record holder shares skills at Cumbria country fair
Last updated at 11:15, Wednesday, 20 August 2014
A CUMBRIA fair which showcased a wide range of skills included a cooking demonstration by an award-winning chef.
• Click here to see the results
The Lakeland Country Fair was held at Torver, near Coniston, today and despite the flash flooding there were a range of activities for people to get involved in, including dog shows, with lurchers and terriers, fell races, a ferret show and children’s sports.
A highlight was watching chef Gary McClure holding cooking demonstrations throughout the day using local products and ingredients.
Mr McClure holds the Guiness World Record for producing the longest Cumberland sausage in the world. He said: “Using local produce is what it’s all about, buying these products helps the local economy grow. Herdwick lamb is what I have been cooking today, and they are a special breed.”
Herdwick sheep were first recognized as a breed in the 1790s and are now bred on 120 hill farms in the central and western Lake District.
Despite the weather, which was a mixture of sun and downpours, many families took to the fields in their waterproof clothing and Wellington boots to taste the local food, meet other farmers, admire the Herdwick and the Swaledale sheep and compete in the dog shows.
One of the stalls was The Smokery from Haverigg, which sells smoked salmon, smoked Cumberland sausage and smoked bacon. Mary Tyson, one of the supervisors from The Smokery was at the Lakeland Country Fair. She said: “It’s one of the best shows for locals, it’s fantastic, everybody here is local and they are all really nice. We make sure we come every year.”
First published at 15:30, Sunday, 17 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|