Last updated at 10:24, Wednesday, 20 August 2014
THE weeks and days before GCSE results day are nerve- racking for pupils.
But for many the grades themselves are a cause for celebration.
Each year secondary school leavers congratulate one another with hugs and have broad smiles for the Evening Mail cameras.
Today we look back into the Evening Mail archives at GCSE results days gone by.
GCSEs have been around since the late 1980s, replacing O-Levels.
There are photographs here from the 1990s from our secondary schools in Barrow, Dalton, Ulverston and Millom.
Two of the Barrow schools where these photographs were taken, Thorncliffe and Alfred Barrow schools, no longer exist. These schools were two of the three predecessor schools of Furness Academy.
First published at 09:46, Wednesday, 20 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|