Last updated at 10:24, Wednesday, 20 August 2014
THE weeks and days before GCSE results day are nerve- racking for pupils.
But for many the grades themselves are a cause for celebration.
Each year secondary school leavers congratulate one another with hugs and have broad smiles for the Evening Mail cameras.
Today we look back into the Evening Mail archives at GCSE results days gone by.
GCSEs have been around since the late 1980s, replacing O-Levels.
There are photographs here from the 1990s from our secondary schools in Barrow, Dalton, Ulverston and Millom.
Two of the Barrow schools where these photographs were taken, Thorncliffe and Alfred Barrow schools, no longer exist. These schools were two of the three predecessor schools of Furness Academy.
First published at 09:46, Wednesday, 20 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business today
- Barrow woman attacked man with ashtray
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow Raiders defeated at Swinton Lions
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|