Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured
Published at 08:49, Monday, 20 January 2014
FUNDING for a new county-wide CCTV system has been secured.
Richard Rhodes, Cumbria police and crime commissioner, has today announced he has secured £539,000 for a new CCTV system.
Police have said the system could put the county at the cutting edge of CCTV.
Mr Rhodes said: “I am delighted that the scheme, which is a joint project between the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Cumbria Constabulary and the six district councils of Eden, Carlisle, Allerdale, Copeland, South Lakeland and Barrow, has been given the go-ahead.
“This scheme will deliver benefits to the local councils and savings for the police and wider criminal justice system by faster working and sharing of information.”
The new system will be monitored from a central control room at Cumbria police headquarters, in Penrith and a part-time manager is due to be appointed.
Mr Rhodes added: “We were able to demonstrate that our scheme would meet the essential criteria of the bids, in that it would help transform policing through innovation, improve collaboration and deliver savings.
“This success just shows what we can achieve for Cumbria when partners work together.”
Deputy chief constable Jeremy Graham said: “This is a great step forward in the process for providing consistent and improved CCTV coverage across Cumbria.
“We are working closely with the police and crime commissioner and local councils to ensure we can deliver the best CCTV system possible, once the project has had final approval.”
The final decision on CCTV will be made at the executive Board on February 5 by Mr Rhodes.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Â£539,000. I wonder how many officers on the beat that money would support. I wish the scheme every failure.
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course