Flood alert for South Cumbria
Last updated at 10:07, Monday, 26 November 2012
MOTORISTS have been warned to watch out for surface water on the region's roads as torrential rain continues to fall in South Cumbria.
The plea from Barrow Fire and Rescue for drivers to be alert comes as forecasters predict persistent rainfall throughout much of the day.
While the Met Office expects the heaviest rain to fall during the morning, the wet weather band will continue well into the evening.
The Environment Agency released a flood alert just after this 8am this morning for the rivers Duddon, Crake and Mill Beck.
"Due to the overnight rainfall and saturated ground the rivers are starting to rise," the release said.
"With further rain forecast they will remain high and in some areas may continue to rise."
Meanwhile, firefighters were called out to a Millom residence in the early hours of this morning following a report of flooding.
Crews attended the Beckside Cottages property in Bootle about 4.20am and worked until 6.55am to pump out the water.
- Follow the Evening Mail's website throughout the day for more updates
First published at 08:18, Monday, 26 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|